Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Things going on in my head and the heads of those around me

1) Today I mailed a birthday gift to Ontario. It cost $11 to mail. Canada Post is not my friend.

2) I am a little bit stressed, and very busy, but I am happy. I am happy because the people in my life make me happy and I am because I make me happy.

3) One of the things I like about people is that no two are exactly alike. Even people you don't like, they are redeemed by the fact that they are an excellent version of themselves.

4) People who think blogging is a self-centred pastime are, or course, correct. People who think that blogging is a self-centred pastime and therefore is a bad thing are wrong. Everything we do is self-centred. Seriously. Other self-centred things include reading (who else does reading benefit, just you), watching t.v., going on holiday, etc. to the most fundamental things we all do.

Why do people have children? For the children? no, you don't know them, you do it for you*. Why do you believe in God, for Him, no, you believe in Him for you. Okay - I will grant there are a few people (Mother Teresa?) who help people to help them, and not for personal reward, but the average person? Some people might think this is overly cynical, but it's not; I don't think these are bad things, I think it is what it means to be human. To be selfish and flawed but to do the best job that you can at being that selfish and flawed person that you are.

*note: this is not to suggest that I think having children is always a choice, for many women, in many parts of the world, having children is not a choice. I am just saying that if you are choosing, you are choosing for you.

No comments: