Monday, October 09, 2006

thanksgiving

Though today is offically thanksgiving, I had my thanksgiving celebrations yesterday, and they were lovely. Devin and I cooked a fabulous thanksgiving dinner, with lots of food, and I made a pie, which almost turned out. My plans for making pumpkin pie were thwarted by the fact that all the grocery stores near me were sold out of pumpkin by Saturday (go figure?) so I will pumpkin pie at some point in the future; in any case, I made a strawberry pie, including the crust, which was quite the achomplishment for me, seeing as it was my first pie.

There is this scene in sex and the city were miranda's new house keeper brings her a rolling pin and says in her Eastern European accent "so you can make pies. A woman should make pies." So this is me, taking up my womanly pie-making duties.

There was loads of left-over food, so tonight will be thanksgiving left-over dinner, which I am almost as excited about. Tomorrow I have to go have passport sized pictures of myself taken, and then go to school and start working like crazy for the next three days because I am behind schedule and most of this long-weekend was an academic write off. (This is not really a surprise, but still, I was hoping this weekend would signal a shift in a 20 year habit.)

Last thing - my fabulous friend stephanie is moving to America from Ireland. That's right. Now, she will only be 1 time zone and a 3 hour plane ride away, instead of 9 hour plane ride and 8 time zones :) And with any luck, by the time she arrives there will be a democractic House and Senate. I'm sure that would make her (and millions of Americans) much happier to be living in America.

3 comments:

Kirst said...

Wow I'm impressed that Devin cooked for you. Glad you guys were together for Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

ach liz I'm glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. Why is it on a different date in Canada than in America? No matter, I'm just doubly thankful that I'm going to be closer to you too!! No actual date for moving yet but I'll keep you posted so that you know when to book your flights to see me....;) Love ya xoxox

Anonymous said...

that was steph who posted the above comment by the way! xx