Sunday, December 09, 2007

the type of story that makes you so sad and makes you wish the world could be a different (better) place

I just saw on the news that there were two shootings today in Colorado. The second shooting took place in a mega-church. The gunmen killed one person and wounded several others before being shot and killed by a security guard.

This is obviously so tragic, and seeming all the more for taking place in church. And it's lucky that more people were not killed. But I cannot imagine going to church and seeing a security guard armed with a gun. I know that I am not an expert on going to church, and clearly today it was necessary - but what kind of world are we living in when Churches are handing out guns? Obviously this practice is not widespread, and I have never been to a mega-chruch - I just think it's a really interesting and sad commentary on the world we live in. That people are paid to carry guns in churches and that today that practice saved lives.

No comments: