Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas at the Office

Though I don't usually write about my job, for obvious reasons, tonight I am making an exception. Tonight was the annual, and my first, staff Christmas party for my office. We went out to a nice restaurant, sat in their "group area", had a lovely three course meal (actually two of my courses were almost not editable - but I digress), and then had a tacky gift exchange.

Out of 15 people I got to choose my gift second. It was a book (worthy of its own blog post) wrapped in many many layers of tissue which I took off and placed on the table. As I was showing everyone the book, someone says something about a fire. Yes folks - that's right - apparently in my haste to display my tacky gift I neglected to notice that the tissue paper was precariously close to the candle on the centre of the table. And by precariously close I mean all the tissue paper went up in flames.

I immediately stepped back from the fire while other people attempted to address the now leaping tissue paper flames, which were somewhat contained in the original (but cardboard) box. Several people attempted to smother the fire, but to no avail. And it was far too big to stamp out using one's foot. Finally, after one very long minute, several glasses of water were thrown on the fire and it was mercifully extinguished. Around this time the wait-staff began to come over, apparently the leaping flames had caught some of the other patrons eyes. Although by that time all that was left were the ashes floating through the air like snow and a pile of charred tissue paper.

Apparently that is the most excitement that the office christmas party dinner has seen in some years. And afterwards, everyone said they were glad that my hair didn't catch on fire.

So now, at every Christmas party for years to come, long after I have left this job, someone will say "remember the christmas party when Elizabeth started a fire". Rarely is one aware of the exact moment when they become part of office lore - but for me - without a doubt - it was tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i suppose it is better to be known as the girl that set the fire than the girl that got messy drunk, insulted her boss and slept with a co-worker...