Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Extreme TV!

Things I Think About:

1) I watch more TV than I probably should. I am aware of this and so sometimes go out of my way not to watch TV after work and to go out or read a book or try to be an interesting, healthy person. Which is why I don't understand people who always seem to ONLY talk about TV. People who never tell stories about their own life - but start their stories with "this one time on Friends...." I definetely do this on occasion - but I try to intersperse my TV-world-life with an actual life.

That being said....

1) Extreme Make-over versus the Biggest Loser. I have never seen Extreme Makeover but I have seen The Biggest Loser - and though both end with the contestants going through extreme physical transformations - I think that the emotional/spiritual transformation that the contestants go through on the biggest loser must be way more intense because the people on that show are actually causing the change in their lives. And I think that they go through an equally intense change on the inside - which I don't think happens on Extreme Makeover. Which is why I would much prefer to be on the biggest loser (not that I think I should/need to go on either) because I believe it creates a more meaningful and sustainable life change.

2) Extreme Make-over: Home Edition. So they build these brand new mansions for families that are not especially well-off from a financial position and then at the end the family has a big house that reflects the size of the that family's heart. awww.... But what happens the next year when the property tax guys comes around, re-assesses the property value, and suddenly your acre of land with a shack is an acre of land with a mansion and you owe thousands in property tax that you cannot afford. Does the show help you with that? Do they get the municipality to wave the property taxes for a certain length of time? Do they pay the property taxes for the first year? First ten years? I wonder....

1 comment:

Linda said...

I often think about the whole extreme home make-over sustainability thing... let's just hope that the execs are smart enought to realize that these families might need some more help later..