Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pop-Country and the full spectrum of human emotion

This last week I've had the Carrie Underwood song "Before he Cheats" stuck in my head. I thoroughly enjoy that song. And think it's a great example of pop-country music. That being said, I completely disagree with the entire message of the song and think that any song that glorifies destruction of property as an appropriate response to emotional betrayal is really not setting the best example for today's youth. (seriously).

However, I do appreciate the message about getting in touch with your anger. I have come to realize in the past month that I don't get angry. I get sad and I get frustrated but I don't get angry. Which probably (okay definitely) means that for some reason (cough, internalized societal role of women, cough) I re-direct/internalize my anger and don't allow myself to acknowledge my emotions when those emotions are anger - regardless of whether or not the anger is directed outward at someone else or inward at myself. So I have decided to start acknowledging and feeling and acting on, and therefore being able to process my anger. Not that I think I have a lot. But I am pretty sure I have more than zero.

All part of the process of becoming the perfect person.

2 comments:

lu said...

i totally and completely agree! i can get very angry but usually end up crying, which doens't seem to be a typical reaction to anger.

i have also 'tagged' you for 7 random facts about yourself, check out my blog for details!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that you aren't perfect already.