Monday, November 27, 2006

The great storm of '07 '06

So yesterday when I posted I might have given the impression that I was pleased with the snow. Which, at the time (12:10pm), was true. Shortly thereafter I took a trip to Starbucks, and when I returned around 3pm, I returned to an aptartment with no power. Walking towards my house, I ran into my landlord, who informed me that only did I not have power (so no lights or heat), but that I shouldn't expect the power to return, and I should try to find myself other accomodation for the night. As I was entering my apt. my other landlord stopped me and suggested that I call my boyfriend, because I probably was not going to want to spend the night in my apartment.

By 5:00pm there was no power, it was starting to get cold, and the only light was courtesy of a half dozen tea candles, so I gave Devin a call and informed him of my plight, at which point he was kind enough to invite me over for the night. So I gathered up some clothes, schoolwork, three extra pairs of socks, and my salmon from the fridge, and began my trek.

I trudged through street after street of unplowed snow, but before I got more than several blocks I came across "do not cross" tape, and spent a moment trying to discern why it was there, and if I could ignore it, since I didn't really want to backtrack. Then I notice a few more words "do not cross, live wire" and peering into the darkness, I notice that yes indeed, there is a downed wire across the street. At which point I decide that it would be in my best interest to go the long way.

So I continue on my way, clumps of snow falling off trees as I walk, being careful to avoid ice patches and puddles, though I do fall victim to one patch of ice and two pretty good "soakers". I walk from my power-less neighbourhood, though a neighbourhood with power, then throughh another one without power, until I finally arrive at in Devin's neck of the woods. On the way, I see numerous power lines, sagging so much under the weight of the ice and the snow that I am surprised that the SUVs who are driving underneath and not making contact with them. I finally arrive at Devin's, take off my boots and socks, both of which are soaked, change into another pair of pants, and wring my first pair out into the bathtub. That's right - they were so wet they needed to be wrung out - and then put into the dryer.

Everything was going along well until around 7pm Devin's lights too went out - more tea candles were lit, until around 8:00pm when the lights came back on. So we watched the Simpsons and Studio Sixty, adn then turned in for the night. Around 7:00am Devin's alarm went off, and the t.v. and the internet were turned on to assess the situtation. All the schools in Victoria and many in the lower mainland were closed, including all the Vancouver universities, and following a quick check, the University of Victoria was also closed. Later that morning, I called my landlords, who told me my power was back, and that I could return home. On my walk home, I must admit, that the city looks beautiful all covered in snow, almost beautiful enough to make it all worth it.

And so today is a snow day in Victoria. Many, but not all, buisnesses are open, and people are advised not to drive unless it is necessary. Now as a non-native BCer, I will admit, there is a lot of snow. There is not so much snow that Toronto or Calgary would have shut down, but then again, Victoria probably does not possess the dozens of snowplows of other large Canadian citizens.

So now I am at home, nice and cozy, and I plan on staying here for the rest of the day.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Luckily you had somewhere to go! you would have had a COLD night. It's snowy and cold here too, but manageable!

Anonymous said...

isn't it still '06 and thus the great storm of '06? If not, i think i just misplaced a year of my life...i feel a little like Phoebe when Ursula told her she was actually 31 and not 30...can someone please tell me what happened last year?

Alex said...

haha i didnt even notice the year thing, i wish '07 would just come overnight and all my papers would be magically finished for me :)

in toronto/waterloo - today is like 12, tommorow 16, thursday 18
its quite scary (and quite wondeful! no winter jacket for this girl!)

liz said...

I kept calling the storm of '07 on Sunday night, and Devin repeatedly pointed out to me that it was still '06. Clearly I am having problems.

--Nathan-- said...

other larger citizens??? are you calling me fat?

snow storms at either coast are much different than snow storms in places like Calgary or Ottawa.. the snow is so loaded with water that it causes so many problems that our "light" snow in calgary doesnt usually cause such problems as downed power lines.

liz said...

UPDATE: I just heard that there are still people on Southern Vancouver Island without power and it may be the weekend before they get it back. I don't know where exactly, but I am now even more glad that I have my power!