Thursday, March 09, 2006

at the movie store

today i was in my local video store.

and the lady behind the desk was recommending some stuff to a man in the store, including crash, which she characterized as a "guy film", okay.....

so then, unasked, she begins to recommend movies I might like. She starts with "In her shoes" and then moves on "must love dogs"

Now - I'm not saying that I don't like a good "chick flick" every now and again.... but something about a 50year old woman telling me that I should renting must love dogs - rather than say Crash - bothered me. If I had said "could you please recommend a nice romantic comedy" then those would have been good choices - but I just didn't really appreciate her assumptions.

I'm not terribly upset or anything - I just thought it was interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sad fact that the assumption of women liking chick flicks more than intellectual films is perpetuated by women like her.

Anonymous said...

don't you just hate it when someone thinks you're something you are not