Saturday, July 08, 2006

the radio

Oh the radio.

I love the radio. I get the impression that today most people reserve the radio for driving as opposed to sitting at home and just listening - since at home we have our c.d.s and mp3s etc. but i don't know... I love the surprise and unexpectedness of the radio - I love the variety and the stupid banter and traffic reports - there is something about the radio which gives one a sense of community in a way that other mediums - such as television, c.d.s and movies do not. Except I guess for Jack FM which is the Walmart of radio (though I dont feel the need to avoid it the same way I feel the need to avoid walmart). I love listening to music from the 80s, 90s, and today. I love listening to the CBC (both the talk programs and the music programs) and downloading programs from the BBC - connecting me not to my community but to other communities that could be mine. I listened to almost no radio last year - a pattern which i will not be so foolish as to repeat this year. I haven't settled on a favourite victoria station yet - not that I will need to - I have no problem switching between stations - but I am sure that I will eventually find a station which I am more attached to than most. It won't be "102.1 the edge" or "K-Rock" or BBC Radio 4, but it will be mine and I will become more a part of Victoria for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was watching mtv when hawksely workman was saying that he loved radio because it was like a community, and i've never really thought about radio like that - and once i did, i did fully appreciate how great a good radio station is. however, i despise radio talk, so i'm constantly changing stations which looses the whole community thing.. i still love the edge and jazz fm, but i prefer talk free/commercial free radio .. say internet radio.
anyway, glad you're happy back in vic
-Alex