Sunday, August 06, 2006

shopgirl

Earlier this week I rented the movie shopgirl, starring steve martin, claire danes and jason swartzman. I really liked it (a lot!) - and I preferred it to Lost in Translation, which seems to me to be similar in many respects.

In any case, part of the plot has Claire Danes pursued by the two male leads, and for a large part of the film she is involved in an intimate relationship with the Steve Martin character. After watching this movie, I decided that I really don't think I could be intimately invovled with someone in the their fifties (I already knew this before watching the movie, but watching the movie made me think about it some more). Even if they were very wealthy (clearly not a reason to become involved with someone, but again I digress), I think that I would just feel too far apart from them (generationaly, emotionaly etc.).

I think that I could be comfortably involved with someone who was, at the most, 9 years older than me at this point in my life. I don't know why - but that is the arbitary number that makes sense in my head. Of course, my ideal partner would be approximately 1 year, 5 months and 9 days older than me. That strikes me as just about perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i liked that movie. however, i did not like the voice-ing over stuff, like the narration parts, didnt really add to the movie.
i also read the novella, it was alright.
im not a huge steve martin fan however.
happy civic holiday!
Alex

Anonymous said...

wow - what a coincidence, considering that I don't know when your birthday is :)

and I agree with the voice over comment - I don't think it should have been used at all (and the fact that it wasnt used a lot made the times when it was used just seem random). And in B.C. the civic holiday is called "B.C. Day".