Wednesday, August 09, 2006

on cooking

Anyone who knows me, knows that there are many things which I cannot do, many of which I would like to be able to do.

The number one thing that I would like to do, is that I would like to be able to sing well; however, I have resigned myself to the fact that this will probably never happen.

So, the time has come to focus on thing number two: being able to cook. Note, I did not write "being able to cook well", at this point in time, I would be happy with simply being able to cook. So for the past four days I have begun to cook. I own one cook book (courtesy of alexandra) which contains these things, which I believe are called "recipes" which are very helpful when trying to cook. In the past four days I have poached fish, made a curry, and rice pilaf. Now I am still not exactly what "pilaf" means - but it sure sounds fancy. I think that part of the reason for this new interest is that I am going to need to eat for the rest of my life eating, and until I become independently wealthy, I will have to cook the majority of the food that I eat myself. And I think that the other reason is that having a partner who is an excellent (professional) chef, has sort of shamed me into learning some basic culinary skills.

Also.
1 week until D reutrns to Vic.
2 weeks until Sarah arrives in Vic.
8 months until I defend

3 comments:

kristen said...

good luck with your cooking endeavours...what cook book do you have?

(by the way...you know you can buy curry in a jar right ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have a cook book called "basic cooking" which starts with "how to shop" moves through "cooking terms" and "what ingrediants every kitchen should have" before actually giving you any recipes.

And if you buy curry in a jar you don't get the sense of personal satisfaction which comes from chopping ginger, onion and garlic for twenty minutes while on the phone with your mother blaming her for you lack of culinary ability :)

Anonymous said...

i tried to help you!!
and finally you use the book.
i am happy.
its no 25 cent record, but its a useful book :)