Sunday, April 02, 2006

2nd and 3rd points.

Part II - Saying nice things.

Saying nice things is important. I try to say nice things to people as much as I can. A simple thing can make somone's day. When someone tells me they like my glasses - it always makes me happy. When I had a student email me to tell me that they really enjoyed my tutorial - that made me happier than I could have imagined - when one of my friends tells me that they love me - even though I already know - it makes me feel special to hear it. Making conversation with people in shops - just to be pleasant - makes me happy. Even when my parents - who are obligated by parent-law to think highly of me say nice things - it makes me happy. When AH says "congratulations again, that's really great" two days later - that makes me happy. When I tell someone I like their pants, or how their hair looks, or how they look really good in their sunglasses - it makes me happy to be able to say it - and I imagine that it makes them happy to hear it.

Part III - Saying I love you.

I watched a movie on Friday where one of the characters said that he had an ex-girlfriend who thought saying "I love you" lost its specialness through overuse. Well I think that's just silly. What a wonderful thing to be able to say to someone - or to be able to hear from someone - I have friends whose parents rarely I love you - and I am glad that my parents are not like that - parents, friends, partners, children, anyone who is special enough for someone to love should be told it again and again - not because they doubt it - but because it affirms something about us that is so fundamently human. S. used to tell me she loved me every night and it was wonderful. I don't tell my friends enough - but I try to tell them. That being said - I would never say it if I didn't mean it - what seems to be a kind, or flippant remark in the short term - those words have a tremendous amount of power - and should be used accordingly.

3 comments:

Faye said...

I don't know you very well yet, so can't really say "I Love You", but I do love the fact that you love my son, and I do love that you are so sensitive and I do love how nice you are, and I do love that you treat your family, friends, and anyone you meet with respect and kindness. So I guess what's not to love.....Hope you can come to Calgary during the summer for a visit

Anonymous said...

i love you elle!!
(ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no further comment)

liz said...

Aren't you both so sweet.

And I also hope that I make it out to Calgary this summer for a visit as I would love to see you and your husband again as well as meet everyone else who I always hear so much about!