Wednesday, June 25, 2008

a small little ranting thought

from Today's Globe and Mail

by Preston Manning

"How do Canadian cities measure up in terms of quality of life, economic performance, civic governance and leadership capacity?... In seeking answers, former Ontario premier Mike Harris and I have been examining some recent data [which] suggests that all is not well with Canada's largest city."

Hmmm.... Really? Mike Harris is examining data to try to figure out what is wrong with Toronto? Well, I imagine that this is subject he is intimately familiar with considering how much of what is wrong with Toronto today is the direct results of the Harris government policies of the 1990s. Thanks anyway Mike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a little short sighted to blame everything that's wrong with Toronto on Mike Harris. Do we not remember Mel Lassmen, or the woman before him, whose name I can't recall? I doni't see why this wouild affect you, since you haven't lived in Toronto in three years, and will not be living there in the near future. I have no more to add, I will now go play devil's advocate somewhere else.

kristen said...

Devo- I invite you to play devil's advocate over at my recent post on short shorts and rain boots. Much intellectual discussion to be had there.

As for Toronto, I don't understand why people think that Canadian big cities should be immune to the problems of big cities. I think it is right to try to figure out how to make it better, but I sometimes thing Canadians have this naive thought that "things like this don't happen in Canada". And while it is true that they don't often happen in Canada, I think it has more to do with the smaller population density than it does with the actual population. (if that makes any sense at all)