Monday, November 05, 2007

so apparently I am ignorant

Monday is my day off (in addition to Saturday and Sunday) and so I usually go out in the morning to do schoolwork and then come home around lunchtime to have lunch. Well today, at 1pm, as I was having lunch, I was watching "Engaged and Underaged" on MTV. The first time I saw this show was last Monday at 1pm, and I am now hooked. (Go ahead, judge me, i am already judging myself).

In any case - the 19 year old fiancee was upset that her fiance's mother did not like her. So when the guy says "you and my mom just have different personalities" his finacee says "well that's just ignorant. If you don't like someone because of their personality than you're just ignorant".

Now - I obviously can't speak for everyone - but for me, I actually find the primary reason that I like or dislike someone is because of their personality. Now - if I meet someone new I might try to focus aspects of their personality that I like rather than aspects of their personality that I don't - but in the end, it does come down to personality.

There could be a highly moral and good person who just happens to have a caustic or annoying or boring personality. And I might respect that person and hold them in high esteem, but if I don't like their personality, I probably don't like them.

So I'm not exactly sure what criteria this particular young woman was using to decide when and why one should be liked. And if it's not personality, I'm not exactly what it is. And so apparently, I must be ignorant.

1 comment:

Alex said...

and this is perhaps the exact reason that we do not take the word of MTV kids as the law.

HAHAHA i still laugh at the card every time i see it. :)