Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Outlander

This post is dedicated to Linda, who I have never, and will never, meet.

So on the advice of the above, I decided to read Diana Gabalon's famous book "Outlander". It is the first (I believe?) in a series about Claire, a young woman who accidently managed to get herself transported back in time 200 years (so from like 1947 to 1747 or something like that). And she is torn between her love for her 1947 husband and her 1747 young dashing stranger. It's all very intense.

And I have to say - the book was fabulous. It was not the most well-written novel I have ever read, but it reminded me of Harry Potter insofar as the quality of the storytelling made up for any deficits in the writing.

(seriously - everytime the main character spoke, it was followed by "she said dryly" or "she said seriously" or "she said coquettishly" etc. which does not good writing make. There was also a lot of times she seemed to be showing off her vocabulary which ended up being distracting - but I digress).

So yes - the story was excellent. I used to read a lot more than I do now - and this is the first time in a while I finished an 800page book in less than a week (Harry Potter books notwithstanding). The only thing I didn't like was that there are very intense scenes towards the end which I maybe understand why she needed to put them in to demonstrate the depths of human despair and the power of human love - but they were too much for me. They were so disturbing that they took away, for me, from one of the best stories I ever read in a long time.

Again - like Harry Potter - she makes people who don't usually read fantasy suspend their belief. You really do believe that it is possible she went back in time, the way you really do believe there can be wizards. And though I would still rather be Hermoine than Claire, it would be pretty cool to be Claire.

I believe.

1 comment:

Linda said...

YEAH!!!!! I am so glad that you read it.....

Welcome to the club, and I do hope that you enjoy the whole series...

Dragonfly in Amber is next, but after that is Voyager and in my opinion it is the better of the 2....