Wednesday, April 09, 2008

judge not....

In the past I have been flippant about my tendency to judge people. Largely because you can say something mean about someone that is true and factual without being judgmental just for the sake of being judgmental.

For example "I can't believe how superficial Carrie is, if I have to hear her talk about her Gucci purse one more time...." Now this is not a NICE thing to say about someone - and you probably shouldn't say it - but I would never feel like a bad person for saying that and it's more bitchy than judgmental.

But lately - lately I have been becoming really judgmental. And for no reason. NONE! Even Devin, who is prone to judgments himself from time to time, has noticed. So today I decided that it must be as simple as the age old self-help-advice-guru knowledge - when you judge someone else you are really just judging yourself.

So that means that for the past several weeks I have been judging myself more than usual. But I can't figure out why. Aside from the fact that I keep judging myself for being so judgmental! And then I get mad at myself for being so judgmental, and then I get upset for judging myself about being judgmental...!!

Although I have a theory. I live with a roommate who is a very nice person but is a) not a great roommate as far as cleanliness and her cats are concerned and b) After living alone for two years going back to a roommate was not fun for me. So mainly I am judgmental towards her (silently in my head to myself) which is really just a manifestation of my frustration with my living situation. However - that situation is ending in two weeks (!!!) so my hope is I will relax and stop being so judgemenal.

And then I guess I can start working on my occasional tendencies to exercise factual, if completely unnecessary, bitchiness.

No comments: