Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tips for Healthy Living

This morning at Starbucks I could not help but overhear a seventy-something woman talking to a man who I deduced to be her seventy-something boyfriend about tips for healthy eating. Let me share them with you.

1) When at a buffet do not overeat.
2) Eat vegetables, but avoid potatoes.
3) Replace mayonnaise with salad dressing
4) If you are going to eat peanut butter you might as well eat rat poison.
5) Salt is spelled D-E-A-T-H, DEATH!

At this point I was pretty much eavesdropping, but then the subject turned from healthy eating, at which point I decided that enough was enough, to stop judging, and return to my work.

6 comments:

lu said...

but i love that advice!

Anonymous said...

Mostly good advice, but I will have to disagree about the peanut butter comment. While it may be the equivalent of rat poison to my anaphylactic husband, I find it to be a wonderful source of protein, "good fat", and deliciousness.

Kirst said...

I too love eating peanut butter. I was told yesterday by a friend that they were cutting out peanut butter from their kids diets. Not going to happen here. Peanut butter is a staple in Lobbster land.

liz said...

I am also a fan of peanut butter - but only in peanut butter and banana sandwichs. It's healthy and fun!

lu said...

ok, real peanut butter is healthy, but most of the stuff we eat is full of sugar and not so healthy.

of course, i have a pretty love/hate relationship with the pb as i have been known to eat it right out of the jar with a spoon!

liz said...

I never ate peanut butter until I lived in the UK, and when all my American friends complained about how bad it was, I discovered that "natural" all peanut peanut butter was infinitely better than the "Skippy" and "Jiffy" of my childhood.