Sunday, May 25, 2008

This week in Books

Roots - Alex Haley
This book was really good. As I was reading it I really enjoyed it. But for whatever reason, after I finished it, it didn't seem as good in retrospect. My favourite part was definetely the first 200 hundred pages when the main character is still in Africa. It made me want to read fiction/non-fiction about Africa and learn about a wide variety of communities exist - both today and historically.

The autobiography of Malcolm X
- Alex Haley, as told to by Malcolm X
This book was phenomenal. Seriously. I really really enjoyed it. It opened my eyes to a whole new dimension of African American thought, filled in many historical gaps in my knowledge, and more than that, was just a really compelling read of an exceptional individual. I am not usually one for biographies, so I really enjoyed getting an insight into the development of the thought of a truly influential man.

Blood Letting and Miracle Cures - Vincent Lam
This book won the Giller Prize in 2006 (I think) and it was widely thought to be deserving of a place on the short list, but as I recall, was a surprise winner. This book was great. I love fiction about doctors and hospitals, something that is so fascinating, but an occupation that I have neither the desire nor the aptitude to be a part of. Yet so crucial to modern human life. This book did a fabulous job of really getting into the minds of medical professionals throughout their careers and examined so many aspects of the human condition. The other thing I like about medicine is that it is so seemlessly multicultural, which is also reflected in the book. Four Stars!

No comments: